The business model canvas is a tool for understanding how a company makes money. We can apply the same canvas to a person, in this article, it’ll be me.
- Build your value, not your skills
- Focus customers on the value you provide, not your key activities.
- Focus customers on their job - remind them your job is to support them, not do the activities they ‘hire you for’
- Determine what key activites will support the value you provide.
Key Resources - Who you are/What you have:
- Interests - Things that excite you
- Personal Productivity
- Self Development
- Making people Smile
- Growing People
Abilites (Things that are effortless)
- Motivating Others
- Moving peoples emotions
- Emotional Analysis
- Presenting in front of large groups
- Being Comfortable
Skills (Learned or Aquired Talents)
- Rapid Prototyping
- Leading People
- Data Driven Engineering
- Personality - How people describe ‘you’
- Quirky, Whimisical.
- Intangible Assets - IP/Goodwill/Brand Recogintion
- Physical Assets - N/A for computer people.
Key Activities - What you do:
- Clarify Needs of Business
- Convert Business needs into team activity
- Understand each team members goals, and build plan to achieve them.
- Balance short term delivery with investments in people, culture, and technology.
- Build relationships with partners to ensure when stuff goes south, can get it back with minimal suffering.
- Feelings Meetings
Customers - Who you help:
- My Product’s Customer
- My Dev Team
- My L2 Lead
- My Product Manager
- Feeling Meetings Members
Value Provided - How you help:
Channels - How they know you, how you deliver
More complex then it sounds:
- How will potential customers discover how you help them?
- How will they decide whether to buy your product or services?
- How will they buy it?
- How will you deliver it?
- How will you follow up ot make sure you are succesful?
Customer Relationships - How do you interact?
- How do you communicate (in person, newsletter)?
- What is the frequency?
- Is the goal retention or Aquisition?
Key Partners - Who helps you?
- Up/Down/Side Ways
- Close/Frequent relations - sister team.
- On Demand - Mentors/Advisors
Revenue - What you get?
- Expected Value of Bonuses
- Health Insurance
- Orca Pass - 1680
- Vacation - 5 weeks
- Cell Phone
- Commute time.
- Accesst to good people
- Nice places to go for lunch
Costs - What you give?